Thursday, March 11, 2004

 

Lee's fine sense of the respect she is entitled to


Mar 11 2004 10:57 pm

you teach a child to tell an authority figure no, you run into issues later with them telling the babysitter "i don't have to look both ways because you're not my parent"...

I'm missing something. What do you tell the child to say when she get's the "bad touch"?

jane

Mar 13 2004 12:47 pm

I'm missing something. What do you tell the child to say when she get's the "bad touch"?

"i don't like that, and i'm telling my parents"....

I don't want my kid to endure abuse and tell me about it later. I want to make it very clear to her that she does not have to endure abuse without resistance.

In fact, as a mother, the thing I like most about my kid is that she has a fine sense of the respect she is entitled to. She reminds me of Vicki. Or maybe Vicki reminds me of her, because it seems to me that Lee was born with it. So, the only credit I can take for her having this quality is that I didn't totally mess it up.

People have to be able to stand up for themselves and for what they believe is right. If they are not going to be victims they must refuse to be abused. We don't have all that long to teach our kids these things. One thing that makes absolutely no sense to me is the idea that you can teach kids to act one way for 18 years and they'll suddenly do things differently when they become adults.

jane

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?