Sunday, September 13, 1998

 

Rejecting first instincts


Sep 13 1998 12:00 am

I've been learning about the most fascinating relationship!

[snip]

Am I the only one that sees anything wrong with this? Granted, I don't have six of them; but I would never treat my own children any differently than I do my stepson. I might *feel* differently about them, but I just couldn't consciously treat them differently...it wouldn't be fair. And I couldn't see my mother treating them differently, either...she'd never take one somewhere and not the other.

I try to think of other blended families and how they handle things, but this just seems to me like they're laying a lot of groundwork from some pretty unstable adults...particularly with the twins!


Yuck.

You know what this means, don't you, lil? You and your mom are going to have to plan things and clearly invite all six. Then, if they say they'll just bring the "real" child/grandchild, you'll have to say, "Oh, no, we'll just put it off until all six can make it."

Of course you COULD just tell cousin James what a scum bag you think he is and alienate the whole family. This would be my first instinct, but I have rejected it as unhelpful.

jane

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?