Monday, September 21, 1998

 

"I'm annoyed, ma'am"


Sep 21 1998 12:00 am

snip discussion of trauma caused by being called "sir" which reminded me of my own horror the first time I was ma'amed (I never shopped in that store again, and I never will)

The only times in my life I've ever used "Sir" seriously are:
1) when working in a service position and addressing male customers;
2) in the army, when addressing officers; and
3) once in a great while, when addressing an older man who has a look in his eye that moves me to acknowledge his years of experience and wisdom.


I'm in the U.S.

I always call men "sir" if I don't know their names. When I stop to ask directions, for example. I guess I mainly call gas station attendants "sir."

I don't think I ever ma'am anyone, though, unless I'm really annoyed.

jane

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?