Monday, September 14, 1998

 

A choice about choice


Sep 14 1998 3:00 am

So you have a choice to make between A and B. Later, C is also offered, and you have three choices. What happened to two choices? It seems that the expressions "a choice" and "two choices" are synonymous. Any thoughts, gals and guys? Jack

[I don't use "choice" this way. To me, you have one "choice." First the choice is between A and B. Then it is among A, B, and C. You appear to be using the word "choice" to refer both to the act of choosing (your first sentence) and to the things you may choose (second sentence).]

But that's the point isn't it; that you can use "choice" both ways? It seems to me that you want to make language work logically, that it should be consistent. But surely it's proven itself to be quite the opposite?

Are you talking to me? You think I want language to work logically? Actually, deep down in my heart, I probably do. I wish the mass were still in Latin, too. I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice consistency for vibrancy, though.

I understand the original point now (I think) but it still seems to be more of a joke about semantics rather than an actual usage concern, because we all know "choice" can be used (quite correctly) as representing the alternatives offered to view and the act of selecting itself.

I could not care less how Jack uses the word "choice." I thought he was posing his question as a conundrum or puzzle. You are not luring me into a discussion on "quite correct" usage.

Does this really cause problems for anyone? It doesn't boggle my noodle, and so our analyses of it seems more of an autopsy. "You have three choices to make" can mean merely that there are three options open to your perusal or that you have a series of cognitive selections to make to achieve some end: but the context of any conversation would make this clear, wouldn't it?

I don't think so. IMVE, "You have three choices to make," is never used in your first sense. Where I live, even if "choice" is used to mean "things one may choose," the sentence would still come out, "You have three choices." You only *make* a choice in the "act of choosing" sense.

jane

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?