Monday, June 08, 1998

 

Limit visits to when dad is there; kids can do their own laundry


June 8 1998

old issue, when my husband travels his teenage daughter always shows up unannounced with or without friends...

I see no reason why SD should have free rein of your house if she is not visiting with dad. At this point, everyone knows she is not coming over to bond with you. Can't you just tell DH that she can't come when he is not there? After all, this is your home.

... so now my daughter and I lost our dog today...... I try to speak up when they do these mean malicious things.. and I am told I am imagining it, or I should just ignore it....

Well this is really the crux of the matter, isn't it? If I were you, I don't think I could stick it. Did you say in an earlier post that DH refused couples counseling? You really have to do develop your ability to work with each other as a team. I am sure you love each other, but the way things are going, you are just going to have to split up. The frustration must be eating you alive.

... The 11 yr old throws his clean clothes in the wash rather than put them away and then throws a fit that I never do his laundry... .......or "forgets" to bring clothes from his moms so I can do laundry at 10pm...

Well, this at least is easy to solve. Have all children over 10 do their own laundry. Once you teach them how, there really isn't anything to it. If MY kids can do it, yours certainly can. You may have to grit your teeth through some grey socks and the inevitable red panties in the white wash. You may have to remind them at first. But after they find they have to wear their least favorite clothes to school a few times, they begin to realize that the laundry does not do itself. It is a great way to teach kids responsibility. It may even make SS think twice before he yanks your chain again.

Good luck.

jane

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?