Sunday, June 21, 1998

 

Auditory processing at age 5


June 21 1998

[OP wants ideas on how to improve the listening skills of a 5 yo girl]

a) Another contributor is right on the money about ensuring her attention before you speak. I have a 6 yo boy and for the last four years (!) I have found that I am wasting my time unless I make absolutely sure he is looking right at me when I speak.

There have been medical studies done about this, but I can't remember where they were published. I only remember because they struck me as true. Boys this age tend not to hear you unless you engage their attention. Girls develop auditory processing skill earlier, I think.

You have to disengage the child from what her attention is on before you talk to her. Turn off the tv, touch her on the shoulder, look her in the eye, wait until she is looking back directly at you. Have her repeat back to you what you have said.

I wish I had more details.

jane

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?