Friday, April 17, 1998

 

Dropping kids off at the movies


April 17 1998

>Is it considered safe to drop 9 year old kids at a local mall moviehouse to watch Titanic?
>Is is normal to tell those same kids that you have a beeper they can call if needed?
>Is this normal parental behavior?


Well, maybe. It depends on the area of the country where you live as well as the maturity of the children. Personally, I wouldn't drop off 9-year-olds at the movies alone but perhaps in a year or two. I also don't intend to allow my children to see Titanic (my kids are 10 and 8) but there are parents around who do allow their children to see it.

What are you objecting to? That they were allowed to go to the movies without an adult? The particular movie itself? Were the children uncomfortable with the situation?

Certainly my kids know I have a beeper they can call if needed in any situation, that's why I have it. Telling the kids THAT is normal.

Gail

I agree. Also, I am much more willing kids at this age stay alone at the movies if: it is the afternoon matinee, there is a small group together. When there are more than three or four kids together, they can tend to disrupt other viewers or sneak into the R-rated movies they are not allowed to see.

What could be wrong with giving your kids your beeper number?

jane

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?